Your Place or Mine?
Have you ever wondered why some photographers use their home instead of a studio space? There are numerous reasons and I’m here to highlight some of them. Let’s dive into it!
Full transparency… this had always been a bit of a sensitive subject for me as I entered into the world of photography. I had often questioned how I would be perceived without a studio to shoot in. Would my clients judge me for my in-home setting? Does it seem unprofessional? As a one-woman operation, it became clear to me that I needed to come up with a list – pros vs. cons – and decide whether a studio was worth the cost. Then I realized…
There are perks for the client AND myself by utilizing my in-home setup!
FOR THE CLIENT…
- It’s easy to feel comfortable and at-ease when shooting in my cozy home. It’s less intimidating and more welcoming than any studio.
- It allows for privacy and confidence during your shoot. There are no other photographers (or businesses) in the space. It’s just you, me, and the camera (and maybe your family if you chose to bring them!).
- The lighting is perfect (insert chef’s kiss here) for a natural, every day feel. Do you like bright lights being aimed at you in an effort to “create” the perfect environment? Me either.
- MY DOGS! It’s self explanatory that they’re the hit of the party (when they’re invited). I keep them tucked away for shoots but my clients often get to love on them before they leave – an instant daymaker for everyone!
- If you’re doing a boudoir shoot with me, having it at my house makes it easy to keep the champagne chilled and the music as loud as we want. There are no rules or restrictions, just the requirement to HAVE SOME DANG FUN!
- Straight up – it’s convenient! It’s massively time efficient AND I get to do what I love from the comfort of my home from booking to shooting to editing and everything in between. I also don’t need to worry about forgetting things (phew!). Did I forget my ____? Did I lose the ____? NOPE. It’s all here because it’s at my house!
- The cost savings is an obvious benefit. While a studio can be beautiful, so is my home and I’m already paying for that sooo….
- There is less set-up and tear-down needed because my “studio” is always ready. With a quick placement of a pillow, draping of a blanket, or situating of a couple props, it’s all set and ready to be the perfect backdrop for some beautiful photos!
- One of the best benefits is that it forces me to keep my house clean (LOL)!
In the end, there is a very clear truth in my findings. The things you (and I) are missing out on by using my in-home studio vs. tradition studio…?
Don’t believe me? Take it from my clients!
“We had our Christmas mini photoshoot at Lindsey’s house and it was STUNNING. We all felt at home as soon as we walked in the door. There was a big, beautiful tree for our littles to gawk at (which made for adorable photos!) and there were “presents” and a rocking horse for them to play with. It felt like we were enjoying Christmas Eve at a friend’s house! The kids didn’t want to leave and neither did I. Can’t wait to do it again!”
Looking forward to welcoming you into my home studio soon!